Friday, May 23, 2008

The Fickle 5

Damn. Damn, damn, damn.

After a brutally stupid week of not much else other than driving, fetching, getting here and getting there, with a just enough work in there to keep the stress level down at 9 ish, I decided to treat myself to a hearty Friday night 5k-with-a-fast-mile. With Ms Hedda was working out her mind(liver) at Book Club, where books are toasted, it seems, over and over. Sigh. I missed her.

So I went to the canal, where all the markers are known and mileage can be calculated on the fly. It was 7:50 pm. It was nice, a little windy. Anyway, here are the stats:
1st km in 3:50. Next mile-for-time in 6:20 (a PB in the 5k-with-a-fast-mile-how-many-dashes-can-i-string-together-until-it-gets-annoying).
5k overall time -23:30. Boooo. A minute off last week's time. WTF? I was pretty stoked to beat 6 minutes on the mile and come in under 22:30 on the 5. Next time.
Shaving that extra 10 seconds off the mile sure cost some. I did have to rest a little at the end of the mile, that cost 40-50 seconds, and it was a slow start to the last half of the 5k. Anyway, one thing I 'like' (like I like a good healthy fear puke) about this combo is that you really have to SUCK IT UP, and quickly, after the mile to finish the 5 in a decent time.

I can't believe people can run the 5 in 12:37!

No comments: