Tuesday, April 22, 2008

In which I attempt to overcome "sucking"

In an attempt to overcome my meagre 45 lb press barrier, I tried the following today:

push press: 5, 3, 3, 2 @ 55 (I might've tried it a little heavier, but I had to do it freestanding -- the rack was occupied by meaties working on their quadruple-plate partial squats. I almost had a mirror-smashing incident, but recovered using my superior core strength.)
* edit to add The point of the push press was to put up extra weight that I could then lower s-l-o-w-l-y (5 second eccentrics) to build strength through the movement. That was the idea, anyway.

one-legged ball crunches: 20 x 3 (alternated sets with the presses to keep the twitch at bay in a busy gym)

10 or 12 or maybe 15? girly-pushups with shoulder-width hands (girly was all I could manage after completely failing on the presses)

dips on the bench: 3 x 6

inverted flies: something like 8, 6, 6 @ 10/arm (I am weak back there; this set was for postural purposes, not necessarily related to the press problem)

I considered doing a few other shouldery- or chest-type exercises, but frankly, my upper arms felt like bricks. So I did a little run on the treadmill - this time it really was a cool-down. (10-12 minutes at 6-7 mph. Mostly flat.)

Tomorrow: massage!!

1 comment:

daddy-o said...

I think I'm going to add push presses to finish off my inadequate press sets.