Friday, November 7, 2008

pre - 'fit test' row

Found out yesterday that I have to row a 6000m fit test on monday, to prove that I am 'up to snuff' in order to join the developed rowers in the tank this winter.

6000m
29:23:02 average 27 spm

I have no idea what our targets are for a race (since I've never actually rowed in a race) but that was about a 2:24 500m which I don't think is too shabby. Plus, I was able to bring my average stroke up to 31 for the last 500m. I'll nail that test alright!

Oh, and no power song. I forgot my ipod. Instead 'Degrassi' and 'So you think you can dance', apparently no good music in the gym at work. I voted for sportsnet and lost. All men in the gym. Go figure.

Thursday was my day of rest. Lunchtime yoga has finally flowed into an advance level. Wednesday's twisting postures and arm dominated vinyasa was tough after the similar focus of Tuesday's run. Brushing my teeth and sipping coffee were both dreadful activities yesterday.

4 comments:

Ms. Hedda said...

I'm so glad that you're setting rowing benchmarks for us! I won't be trying to keep up of course --just living vicariously! :-) It's motivating to have a feel for where ones' performance stands in relation to others, especially when you're totally new to an exercise.

When do you have to do the fit test? (And do you have any idea of the numbers you have to hit - are they specifically defined, or sort of general?)

joseyposey said...

The fit test was last night - utter hell. Target is to keep up a 2:10 500m split, rowing between 24-26 spm. I will post my splits...nowhere close, but now know what to work towards!

Ms. Hedda said...

Eep! That's some hard rowing.

daddy-o said...

hey! is that the only update we get? are you going to be extra motivated to be the next hot thing at the rowing club?