Saturday, November 13, 2010

Deets

Well, its been 48 hours since surgery and things seem to be going fine. Not too much pain, swelling appears normal (but there is swelling!) and I can bend and straighten my knee a little. I have made 2 trips down the stairs!

The surgeon let me know that the surgery went well. I kind of figured that out on my own because I was awake for the whole 3 hour procedure. Numb from the waist down, a little groggy with Gravol, but otherwise lucid. There was much snipping, tugging, scraping, drilling and hammering taking place on the other side of the sterile barrier. I could hear everything but saw nothing. I was chatting to the people on the other side. Made a few jokes even! Eventually it was done, the hamstring graft was ratcheted tight and I was stitched up, wrapped up and sent to recover. Recovery was the worst. It was a full 3 hours before I could even twitch a thigh, and I wasn't able to get up for almost 8 hours. We then had a 2 hour drive home. That part was a little dicey, but Ms Hedda was great company and drove fast. No cookies were tossed. Honestly, there were none to toss; at this point I had eaten but 3 chips in 24 hours.

Ms Hedda has also been a saint helping me recover here at home, despite our littlest squatter's every attempt to thwart her; nay, drive her totally insane. Anyway, I will owe her large.

So it will be a long road to get back at things the way I like. Four weeks on crutches (due to the hammering, which was an attempt to stimulate some blood flow in the cartilage on the end of my femur. Oh, it was awesome!). I will see the surgeon on Tuesday, start physio on Thursday and we'll see how things go. I will keep posting the progress!

Ciao

No comments: