Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Molly Maid

Happy circumstances have led to me have (temporary) possession of a barbell. I took advantage of said circumstances last night to try out the legendary "clean".

45 lb is pretty light (and the alternative of 115 lb beyond the pale of reason) so I was able to do a fair number, and also added the press at the top (making it a "clean and press" I suppose). On average, my presses were somewhere between strict presses and push presses.

I did 4 sets: 20, 12, 12, 10

The number of reps were constrained by my ability to keep up the presses. Also, because there were no plates and I was too lazy to hunt down something to prop the bar on, I had to hold the barbell in a "hover" at the bottom of the movement, which wasn't too difficult at first, but became a bit hard on the back eventually.

With the light weight, it was difficult to judge whether I was doing the cleans correctly. Felt ok, but a heavier weight would be less forgiving. Will try 65 lbs next time. I can see getting totally addicted to this exercise.

Also, I practiced burpee form. I didn't do actual burpees - just practiced going back and forth from the squat to the push-up position. My lack of flexibility makes it necessary to actually "jump" (ie: plyos for the arms), so it only took a few before my forearm completely cramped.

Later, McPie demonstrated the burpee for me and I felt lame in comparison. But fully enjoyed the shirtless show. More backyard workouts, please!

No comments: