Sunday, October 14, 2012

Two weeks later

Took me two weeks to find the right moment to do this little workout again: three sets of 10 each of deadlifts, presses, squats, hang cleans with the 45 lb bar. This time I did all three rounds quickly without breaks, in the garage. Maybe I'll put a a little weight on when I do it again in another two weeks...

Haven't started jogging yet. Gotta first see if we can get young Ruby to take her milk from a bottle. (Tim wanted to taste the "milk from mom's boobie", so we poured some pre-pumped milk into a cup for him. He sipped it (with a straw, natch). Said "I don't like it. It smells AWFUL!" Oh, the hilarity.)

Meanwhile, I'm rediscovering that parenting a baby is very physically demanding. Though not too tired from lack of sleep, I collapse into bed each night quite bone-weary and muscle-achy. I have a signature move, which I've dubbed the "Aylmer Get-up".

Try this at home:

Cut the top off a ten-pound bag of potatoes, and hold it upright in the crook of your arm. Get down onto both knees on the floor, as if to pick up a toy, teenager's shoes, or get the Bailey's from the lowest shelf. (Do this as a squat if you can reach the floor with your hand.) Keep that bag upright - don't spill the potatoes! Still without spilling the potatoes (that is, keeping your torso very upright), return to a standing position. Repeat 50-100 times daily, without putting the bag down between reps. If your arms get tired, strap the bag to your chest for awhile. (Another variation would be to add a 40 lb pack to your back for a few minutes, to simulate those times when the choice is face a tantrum or give the damn 3-year-old a piggy-back ride. Don't strap it on though, just hold it back there with your one free hand.)

Then, book an appointment with your massage therapist.

2 comments:

daddy-o said...

this sounds pretty rigorous but I think I'll try to work it in to my program in February or March.

Baileys on the bottom shelf...how was your visit with your sister? Is it quadruple trouble now?

Overunder said...

You are funny!
We can move the Bailey's though honey!